Recently I had a friend I talked to on the phone, and she goes "I don't know if I should say this but..." and she asked me my opinions on immigrants and stuff. I've done my homework over the years, and she brings up what I call Republican conservative points of view. We get into a "discussion" and I'm feeling that I am going to bang my head against the wall. I love her dearly and I don't mind discussing things, but still I just felt like there was no real discussion.
I don't mind Republican people, but I can't stand these people who don't have their facts straight. I've read and researched things that disprove many theories that the Republicans believe in. I can agree to disagree, but there are certain things that are just plain all facts and you really have no arguement, no matter what side you are on. Let's disagree on how things are handled, not things that are the truth.
Today I had a customer talk to me, and he decided to mention socialism, although I never mentioned anything political. He said something to the sort that "I don't mind helping people, but people have to work. If there are no jobs and no one works, why am I helping?" For the love of God, there are pure facts that even socialist groups agree that Obama is no socialist. Although the customer didn't mention Obama, he alluded to it. What I want to know is, are people seriously trying to piss me off, or do they really think I am a Republican because I am a nice white girl? Like seriously, I wear a peace sign religiously around my neck. A peace sign in the sixties meant that you were all about peace and probably smoked pot but most likely YOU WERE A DEMOCRAT. Technically I am a registered independent, but that's because I have some conservative roots. Some, but I relate mostly to the Democratic point of view. Obviously I am no flower child because I wasn't even thought of back then until the '80's, but seriously.
I consider myself a journalist, although I don't have a real job in the field yet. But journalists have to search the facts, and I do, and from both sides of the coin. I do my homework, think about it (I do have a minor in Philosophy) and come up with my own conclusions. People may argue with me about issues like abortion, like what is the definition of a life, but not when it comes to things like is the sky really blue?
Considering I live in a "blue" state and supposedly a Democratic state, I feel like I am surrounded by a bunch of conservative lunatics. I'm really trying to find the liberal side of Rhode Island, because I feel like I am literally getting choked to death here. I can't even hold an intelligent political debate with anyone because people seem to be clueless. It would be really sad if I went to a state known for it's conservative roots like Arkansas and find more liberals, or at least moderate Republicans. Maybe I live in the wrong part of the state, as East Providence is mostly Portuguese Roman Catholics (the joke here is that EP stands for "Everyone's Portuguese", although I'm not, not even partly) , and not far is Barrington and Cranston, which I consider upperclass rich Bible thumpers (although I notice both towns seem to be somewhat split, that there is some areas of heavy duty Democrats). I'm not saying everyone is conservative, but the overwhelming majority that exists is conservative in those areas. Either that or I am meeting the wrong people.
And enough of this Tea Party shit. I would like to form an anti-Tea Party Group. I'd call it the Coffee group.Just kidding. But seriously, I should find a bunch of hippies and recreate Woodstock in front of the statehouse instead. Now that ought to be interesting. You can legally smoke medical marajuana in our state, I'll just gather all those people and plop them in one spot. Call up a few bands, have people make food for a potluck meal, and get all the people who live in tent cities because they lost their homes to join us at the statehouse. We'd really prove a point.
I don't mind a political discussion, but I require two things: that we can have an intelligent arguement and that in fact both parties are actually intelligent, and also that we don't discuss this at work or a place where we can't talk about such stuff. Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment