
I've seen and heard some of the most ridiculous things but this is beyond ridiculous. It's more on the absurd side. Read the following article and I'm going to comment on this. No Hugs Allowed Mascoutah Middle School definitely needs to change and/or modify their policy. I can see if the rule applied to kissing and/or some kind of fondling or touching below the waist, but a hug? I hugged my teachers for Christ's sake in middle school. I always hugged my friends especially during breaks when I wasn't going to see them for a while. I understand the rule was probably made because this is the time of puberty and the confusion of sexuality but give me a break. This reminds me of the "no dating" policy that was held at my former private school New England Christian Academy. When I went there, there was a policy of no dating or you got suspended, even if the person doesn't go to the school. Also, when you got to the high school level, you had to sign a piece of paper stating that you will abide by the rules. (Thank God I switched schools before then.) I dated some guys when I was at the school but I dared not say anything about it at all. And a few years later when I went with my mother back to NECA (because my sister still went there) one day to pick her up,the principal saw me and pulled my mother aside saying that I should adjust my attitude and clothing. (He was looking at the fact that I was wearing shorts just above the knee and I wore chains around my neck and I had a bazillion pieces of jewelry on.) When I heard this I was like "Who the hell is he to tell my mother and I how I dress or present myself?" I was doing self expression, and most of the chains had a cross and/or WWJD or other Christian sayings on it. So how the hell am I misrepresenting myself? It's called freedom of self expression the last time I checked. This article just brought back some memories of conservative bullshit that schools do to control people. And most of it is plain ridiculous. Some of these people need to get a grip, you can't change the fact that kids will be kids and do these things. If you teach them right, they won't do wrong. And if they do wrong, they will learn from their mistakes, hopefully. If not, oh well, life goes on.

No comments:
Post a Comment