Sunday, November 11, 2007

WGA: Writer's Gasping for Air




Ellen's NY Taping

I never knew much about the Writers Guild of America until its recent strike; nor did I know about the six month strike back in 1988 when I was three. What I do know and I am noticing is the quick effect they have in the entertainment world.
Ellen Degeneres is back under fire again because she is continuing her show without her monologue and supposedly crossing the picket line. She claims (according to WGAE) that she supports the WGA but WGAE feels that actions speak louder than words. (Article WGA & Ellen)
Being a writer myself and also a Union member, I fully understand why WGA would be mad at Ellen and anyone in the entertainment business crossing the picket line. I do believe if you depend on writers and in a time like this you should step back and let reruns go until WGA is no longer on strike. Anytime anyone crosses the picket line its like a slap in the face to the people striking.
However, I do understand Ellen's point. As far as I know and am concerned, the only thing WGA does for Ellen is write her monologue and a few other lines she may say here and there. Other than that, she is a talkshow host, and she can say whatever she wants. I can see WGA being upset if say cast members of SNL crossed the line, because SNL is fully dependent on writers for their acts. I do think Ellen can maybe do a show with the WGA striking or something that supports them but still continue her show. She really isn't heavily dependent on writers. I could be wrong on that, but from what I see, I don't think she really needs writers so much.
I do hope though that the WGA comes up with a solution; I like my shows and I am grateful to the writers who write these acts and monologues and appreciate the hard work. It is not easy being a writer and especially have other people take credit for their writing.

No comments:

Google
Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
search and win