


Pic is Nathan Crowell and his girlfriend.
You would think that at 22 years old you would not be writing an obituary, especially that of a young friend. But today, I am. Friday night at a hockey game, a former classmate and friend who had lived in my neighborhood once upon a time passed away. While Nate Crowell was playing, a hockey puck went right to his chest where it wasn't protected by equipment, and he went into cardiac arrest. He was a student at University of New Haven, and was an amateur hockey player. He went to East Providence High School and graduated in 2003. For as long as I had known and did not know he moved to Portsmouth, RI; he had lived in the same neighborhood few apartments down from my house. I didn't know him well, but I did know he was a goofball and hockey was his passion. I found out this morning when I woke up; I had the T.V. on during the night and I heard "Nathan Crowell" and "hockey" and "UNH" and I immediately turned my head to the news story. They didn't show any pictures and I wasn't sure if it was him or not, so I went online and went through news articles and Facebook. I went to his sister's page and confirmed my suspicions when her status was "wishing to wake up from this nightmare and have my brother back." His story on how he died is national news. Just about every paper at least in New England has his story. This is going to sound bad, but he made national news because of his death. I wish he was on national news because of something else more pleasant, and while alive. This is the second classmate I've lost in two weeks, the other young man, same age, died in a car crash. Eric Medeiros died in St. Croix. My class reunion is next year, our five year mark, and already, two people are gone.
Rest in Peace Eric and Nathan, and may love and prayers go to both families and friends in this time of tragedies.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305679,00.html
Nate Crowell's Obituary
Eric Medeiro's Obituary

No comments:
Post a Comment