Thursday, October 18, 2007

Where did all the baggers go?



I need to write this in order to get some frustration out, and to have people realize certain things. I am a cashier, and if you think this job is easy, think again. One of my biggest frustrations is the constant asking for baggers. There is also the annoying factor of self scans. I don't like self scans for the simple fact that its NOT cost effective (The store actually loses more money to a computer than a human being, unfortunately, the company doesn't look into that factor.) and it takes away jobs. I have many people come to me and say how great these things are, but then complain that I don't have a bagger. What makes it funny is that they complain I don't have a bagger, but they would've bagged their own groceries at self scan. While I don't like self scans and don't feel they belong in our society, there will be a time (maybe near future) where all the grocery stores will be strictly self scans and the only people there are to stock and make sure the machines don't break. That can and will be a reality someday. So when I hear someone complain that there is no bagger, there are times I wish I could say "Well, just bag it yourself." I love it when people stand there and expect me to do all the work, I mean I am not a bagger. Bagging groceries is really not part of my job description, neither is putting the stuff in people's carriages. I mean if your looking for pity from me now forget it. The concept hasn't sunk in, and I hope to God I am not a cashier for the rest of my life. I know as of next year my company is adding four more self scans, which means eventually they will start hiring less people for the job of cashiering, and no longer need that many baggers. The reality of self scans and no people is coming sooner then later. I hope to be out of the retail world as of next year because I'm watching the industry crumble before me; granted I am no expert, but I see huge problems in front of me and I feel like the management and those that are in control are not seeing this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, June.
Yep, I am someone who shops in your store after I have worked out. Although I am a regular self-scanner (I am used to it now), I have noticed that there are never enough baggers. In fact, I became a regular self-scanner because I was tired of walking up to an open register (whose light indicated that it was open for business), seeing the cashier some distance away bagging for someone else, and having to wait,wait,wait.

Quite a chain reaction.

Google
Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
search and win